Survey Templates and live Survey Projects are not the same!
A Survey Template contains contain questions, page breaks and text (e.g. instructions, headings and messages) and conditional logic.
A Project contains a copy of the Survey Template, plus the welcome and finish messages, customized branding and other options. The project is where you deploy the survey and analyse and share results.
A survey template can be used in multiple projects.
Creating a Survey Template
There are three options to create survey templates.
- Install a "Ready-Made" survey template from our "Library" and use as-is or edit
- Create an "Empty Survey" and then build the survey from scratch
- Copy an existing survey template, rename it and then edit
Accounts come with pre-installed Rating Scales. Customised Rating Scales and Answer Lists can be created in the TOOLS menu.
To create a new survey, go to the Survey Templates menu and click on the "+ New Survey" button at the top of the page. There are two choices. You can choose "Empty Survey" and then build a survey from scratch. Or, you can choose "From library" and then choose and install a survey template from our library.
Survey Templates from the Library can be used as-is in projects or they can be edited. be aware that for some survey you will need to customize some questions to suit your project aims and objectives and your specific survey needs.
Surveys from the Library contain pre-prepared Rating Scales, Answer Lists and Themes. Customized Rating Scales, Answer Lists and Themes can be created from the Tools menu.
Navigating the Survey Templates Window
- To create a new survey, go to the Survey Templates menu
- Click on the "+ New Survey Template" button at the top of the page
- Choose from "Empty survey" or "Survey library".
- Click on the Content button in the survey list to add the survey questions, page breaks and text.
- Click the Preview icon at any time to review the content of the survey template
- Click on the Copy button in the survey list to create and then edit a copy of a survey.
- To Edit or Delete a survey, click on the Edit or Delete buttons in the survey list.
- Surveys can be printed ar saved to pdf by selecting the Print button.
- Choose the Make Project button to start a project and add the welcome and finish pages and customize the branding
The Survey Templates Window
Previewing Survey Templates
There is a Survey Preview feature that allows you to preview and test the content of a survey template (questions, instructions, page breaks). Data checks are performed but responses are not stored. Look for the preview icon alongside the survey template or at the top of the page inside the Content screen. Note: The optional welcome and finish pages, logo, title, branding, colours, registration form, footer, consent form and more are not show in the preview. They are added when creating a project.
Pilot the Survey Before Deploying
We highly recommend piloting surveys in a live project before deploying to wider audiences. Here is a blog article form our website with tips to conduct a survey pilot.
The Survey Library
The Survey Library contains ready-made survey templates that can be installed instantly.
To add or edit survey content, go to the Survey Templates menu and select the Content button alongside the survey. This is where to build the :
- Survey questions (statements) are the questions or statements where participants enter their responses. For example, Free Text comments, Multiple Choice and Rating Scale.
- Text can be used for inserting instructions, messages or headings. Rich text formatting is available.
- Page Breaks control how many survey items appear on each page on the web. Survey responses are saved when participants move to the next page.
Making changes to the content of a survey template will not affect a live survey project. The survey template is copied into the project when it is made live. This is to avoid accidentally changing a live survey.
Adding Survey Questions
To insert a Survey Question, select the + New Survey Content buttons at the top of the survey content page or choose the Insert button below the content items. To edit a survey question, select the Edit button alongside the survey question in the survey content.
Adding Survey Text
To insert survey text, select the + New Survey Content button at the top of the survey content page and choose "Text". "Text" can be used to insert instructions, headings and key messages throughout the survey. Enter or edit the text and click "Save". Html formatting is allowed and an html editor toolbar is provided.
Note: The Welcome and Finish pages can be added to the live survey project when setting it up the live survey project.
Adding Page Breaks
To insert a page, select the + New Survey Content button at the top of the survey content page or the Insert button alongside each content item and choose "Page break". Click "Save" to insert a new page.
Inserting a page creates a new page with "Next" and "Previous" buttons as participants complete the survey. Pages are useful for separating survey sections and different types of questions. Pages also help to ensure that respondents do not lose many responses if they are interrupted while completing the survey. Survey responses are saved each time a respondent clicks the "Next" button and moves to the next page in the survey.
Sorting Survey Content
To sort or re-order survey content, move the mouse cursor to the element with the up and down arrows and drag it to the desired position.
Editing Survey Questions
- Enter the Question Text. Some html formatting is allowed.
- Enter instructions specifically related to the survey question/statement (optional). These instructions appear below the survey question. Rich text formatting is availabe.
- Select the Answer Type and create the answer options relevant to the Answer Type. Standard Rating Scales are provided with a Spark Chart account. You can also create your own customised Rating Scales and Answer Lists under the TOOLS menu.
- Select whether an answer is required. By default, this is set to optional/not required. We recommend that questions remain Optional and only use Required by exception.
- Decide whether to allow participants to add comments to their response.
- Choose a Theme if desired. Think of Themes as being the survey objectives. Multiple themes are allowed. Themes are not visible to survey participants.
- By default, survey questions are Active, however they can be made inactive.
- Click "Save" to store the question and selections in the survey.
The Survey edit window
Adding Multiple Choice Options
Multiple Choice options may be added individually from the + Add Option button or may be added from a typed or pasted list from the Quick Add button. Templates are provided for commonly used multiple choice options - like Yes/No and Agree/Disagree.
You can easily change the order of your Multiple Choice question options, by dragging them using the arrow button to the left of the option
Copying a Survey Template
To copy a survey, including the contents, go to the Surveys menu and select the Copy button alongside the survey. Then, edit the name and description, default Rating Scale (optional), default Answer List (optional) and choose "Save". The copy feature is useful to create a modified version of a survey. When a survey is copied the name and contents can be edited. It is important to differentiate it from the survey it is copied from.
Deleting a Survey Template
To delete a survey, go to the Surveys menu and select the Delete button alongside the survey to be deleted. The delete dialogue box will appear. Read the "Confirm Delete" message and then click "Delete". Click "Leave" if you do not wish to delete or are unsure.
Please take care when deleting surveys as all details and content will be deleted.
It is important to remember that if you delete a survey that is currently linked to a project which is not launched, you will need to select a new survey for that project. Launched projects are not affected by deleting the survey.
Conditional Logic (including Skip Logic and other Advanced Logic Features
Conditional Logic can be added using the Logic Button alongside individual questions. Read more about Logic here https://support.sparkchart.com/hc/en-us/articles/333757034116.