Survey Templates are where all elements of a survey are brought together in preparation for adding the survey to a project. Surveys are added to a project when creating or editing the project from the Projects menu. A survey is a template that can be re-used in many projects.
You can choose to create an "Empty Survey" and then build a survey from scratch. Or, you can choose to install a ready made survey template from our "Library".
There are two steps to building a survey.
- Create the survey and select default settings
- Add the survey content, including survey questions, instructions and page breaks
Most surveys will require Rating Scales. Your account comes with pre-installed Rating Scales.
- To create a new survey, click on the "+ New Survey Template" button at the top of the page and choose from "Empty survey" or "Survey library".
- Click on the Copy button in the survey list to create and then edit a copy of a survey.
- Click on the Content button in the survey list to add content to the survey, including instructions, survey questions and page breaks.
- To edit or delete a survey, click on the Edit or Delete buttons in the survey list.
- Surveys can be printed ar saved to pdf by selecting the Print button.
- Click the Preview icon to review the content of the survey template on the web
The Surveys Window
Surveys in launched projects
When a project is launched, a copy of the entire survey, including the content, rating scales, answer lists and themes is created. Editing or deleting the Survey, Rating Scales, Answer Lists or Themes will not change the survey in a launched project.
How to preview a Survey template
There is a Survey Preview feature that allows you to preview and test the content of a survey template (questions, instructions, page breaks) on the web. Data checks are performed but responses are not stored. Note: The optional welcome and finish pages, logo, title, branding, colours, registration form, footer, consent form and more are customized in the project settings. They are not shown in the survey template preview. These presentation options can be edited at any time in a live project.
Look for the preview icon alongside the survey template
or at the top of the page inside the Content screen
Remember to pilot the live survey before deploying
In addition to previewing surveys, we highly recommend piloting surveys in a live project before deploying to wider audiences. Here is a blog article form our website with tips to conduct a survey pilot.