To add or edit survey content, go to the Surveys menu and select the Content button alongside the survey. The survey content window will open. This is where to build the content of the survey, including:
- Survey questions (statements) are the questions or statements where participants enter their responses. Question types include Free Text comments, Multiple Choice and Rating Scale.
- Text can be used for inserting instructions, messages or headings. HTML formatting is available.
- Page Breaks control how many survey items appear on each page on the web. A page break creates a break in the survey. Survey responses are saved when participants move to the next page.
You may also insert content into the survey content from the Insert button alongside each contnet item. Select the + New Survey Content buttons at the top of the page to choose the type of conten you wish to add.
Conditional Logic can be added using the Logic Button alongside individual questions. Read more about Logic here https://support.sparkchart.com/hc/en-us/articles/333757034116.
The Survey Content Window
Content changes will not affect the survey content in launched projects
Survey content may be edited or deleted from the survey, however the survey item will not be deleted or changed in any "Launched" projects. When a project is launched, a copy of the entire survey, including the rating scales and themes is made. After a project is launched, editing or deleting the survey in the Surveys Workspace does not change the survey in the project.
Add or Edit Survey Questions
To insert a Survey Question, select the + New Survey Content buttons at the top of the survey content page or choose the Insert button alongside the content items. To edit a survey question, select the Edit button alongside the survey question in the survey content. A survey question (or statement) is a survey element which allows a response from a participant. Several different question types can be added to a survey, including Free Text, Multi Select and Rating Scale.
The steps to edit a survey question include:
- Enter the Question Text. Some html formatting is allowed.
- Enter instructions specifically related to the survey question/statement (optional). These instructions appear below the survey question. HTML formatting options are availabe.
- Select the Answer Type and create the answer options relevant to the Answer Type. Answer types include Free text, Multiple Choice - single answer, Multiple Choice - multiple answer, Answer List and Rating scale. Standard Rating Scales are provided with a Spark Chart account. You can also create your own customised Rating Scales and Answer Lists under the TOOLS menu.
- Select whether an answer is required. By default, this is set to optional/not required. We recommend that questions remain Optional and only use Required by exception when essential.
- Decide whether to allow participants to comment and click the check box accordingly.
- Choose a Theme if desired. Think of Themes as being the survey objectives. Multiple themes are allowed. Themes are not visible to survey participants.
- By default, survey questions are Active, however they can be made inactive.
- Click "Save" to store the question and selections in the survey.
Options for Multiple Choice
Multiple Choice options may be added individually from the + Add Option button or may be added from a typed or pasted list from the Quick Add button. Templates are provided for commonly used multiple choice options - like Yes/No and Agree/Disagree.
You can easily change the order of your Multiple Choice question options, by dragging them using the arrow button to the left of the option
Survey question window
Survey content in launched projects
When a project is "Launched" the project will create a copy of the survey at the time of launch. Any changes to the survey content after project launch will not change the survey in the launched project.
To insert a page, select the + New Survey Content button at the top of the survey content page or the Insert button alongside each content item and choose "Page break". Click "Save" to insert a new page.
Inserting a page creates a new page with "Next" and "Previous" buttons as participants complete the survey. Pages are useful for separating survey sections and different types of questions. Pages also help to ensure that respondents do not lose many responses if they are interrupted while completing the survey. Survey responses are saved each time a respondent clicks the "Next" button and moves to the next page in the survey.
Deleting survey content
To delete survey content, select the Delete button alongside the item in the survey content list. Read the "Confirm Delete" message and then click "Delete".
Survey content may be edited or deleted from the survey, however the survey item will not be deleted from any "Launched" projects.